Author

Previous Topic Next

-BH-Born2kill

Clan Founder

-BH-Born2kill

1621 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2016 : 02:58:42 PM  Show Profile

Mining is now live!

After some trial and error, mining sand and cement is going to change somewhat.  My initial thought of using a sledgehammer to mine cement was working well, but after researching how to mine sand, I had to switch gears a bit. 

In Arma you need an object or a trigger to be able to produce an action.  In this case a scroll wheel action to fire a client side function to execute the script.  For mining cement I originally placed a rock formation that you could trigger that action on when facing it.  Sand however presented more of a challenge.  My initial thought was if you were on a beach and had a shovel, you could mine as much sand as you wanted.  But there was no way (other than perhaps a trigger) to get this to work properly.  The terrain doesn't allow his functionality (that I know of yet).

My search began for an object that I could trigger this action off of.   I stumbled across a building object that I could use for this.  Scattered around the map are Concrete Mixer Towers than looked like they might work well.  After all, concrete is mixed with sand and cement right?

There are 26 of these structures on Altis.  In some cases there a 3 or 4 stacked side by side.  You've probably passed them by and never gave them a second look.  You will now though.

When the server session begins, a special server side script will run that will place a random number of "bags" in each of these concrete hoppers.  The number will vary from 0 to 5 and will be random.

In order to harvest the cement or sand, you will need to have a shovel and have it in your primary weapons slot and a foolbox in your inventory.   Simply walk up to the concrete hopper and scroll your mouse wheel to get the option to harvest sand/cement.

The animation will take a predetermined time to execute and you will receive either a bag of cement or sand.  Once the hopper is empty, you will need to wait until next server restart to gather more.

There is a chance that your shovel will break when trying to harvest the material.  Be sure to bring a couple with you and be advised that you make a bit of noise while harvesting the material.  Players will be on the hunt as well as AI.

Enjoy!

**Update - Made a Foolbox required to harvest.

Born2Kill

Clan Founder | Server / Website Scripting | Server Admin

Blackhearts Gaming

-BH-Born2kill

Clan Founder

-BH-Born2kill

1621 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 : 06:39:29 PM  Show Profile Reply with Quote

*bump

Born2Kill

Clan Founder | Server / Website Scripting | Server Admin

Blackhearts Gaming